Supporting creative work by women
We started WBW last fall because under 20% of plays produced on American stages are written or directed by women. Our idea was simple: to put our time and dollars behind theatrical works written, directed and designed by women and to show producers and theater companies that there is a market for womens’ work. Since then, we have supported more than 45 productions, and our dedication to women’s work is getting noticed.
We received this lovely note from the Mint Theater’s artistic director Jonathan Bank after our recent outing to THE WIFE TO JAMES WHELAN:
“It was a pleasure to meet you last night and to host your group. You made a great audience!”
Here are five ways YOU can make Works by Women an even stronger endeavor:
1) Attend a show. Our goal in the year ahead is to have a minimum of 10 attendees at every production we select. If every Works by Women member attends 2 shows per year, we will reach that goal. Of course, feel free to attend more! Here’s to supporting womens’ work in larger numbers in 2011.
2) Invite your friends (female AND male) to join Works by Women. It’s easy and free to become a member. We’re thrilled to have 300 members. Our goal is to double that number in the next year. Please help us reach out to them.
3) Suggest a show. It’s easy. If you have a great production that features women (playwright, director and/or design team), fill out the online submission form here.
4) Read our blog. It’s updated three times a week. If you would like to suggest a story for it, E-mail us at email@example.com.
5) Join our volunteer team. We are looking for additional members (1) to lead Works by Women outings (it’s really simple and fun!) and (2) to help us market the group to NYC’s theatergoers and theater companies.
Thank you for being one of the first people to join this initiative. We look forward to seeing you at an upcoming show. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Yours in Art,
Ludovica, Helen & Lanie
Helen Stern & Lanie Zipoy